Thursday, February 02, 2006

Security clearance for H1 stamping

This memory will stay with me forever...I also had so much queries from folks in a similar situation as mine, who were/ are stuck in other countries for H1 stamping waiting on security clearance....after I posted on murthy.com....So here's my experience and hope it helps few people out there...
US to canada: It is supposed to be just a regular weekend vacation and I planned to get back to work after the 3 day vacation in Calgary, Canada. The story took an unexpected twist and turned out to be a 3 month vacation in India.
Canada to India: My case needed security clearance and I was told I can expect the papers from FBI office in Washington anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I received them in ~2 weeks. Reason for security clearance: There are some keywords which demands security clearance. Words includes Lasers, Chemical, etc., . The company I work has the word laser in the name, so I had no escape. My ignorance about security clearance issues made it more difficult when I said these lasers are also used in chemical applications.
3 Months in India:
Week 1 & 2: I wasted time in finding out if there is any short cuts to get appointment in chennai.
Tips: The embassy uploads their website every day between noon - 2pm, so if you sit before the computer and keep refreshing your appt. page, you might be able to hold one. Though I found this out, from someone inside the embassy, I had no patience to do this and skipped this tip.
Week 3 & 4: I had to hold my passport to apply for German embassy, for a conference I committed before 6 months.
Reasons for German Visa: I had a conference in Munich in June. Though planned ahead, I didnt prepare for a visa, as personal appearance is not needed for German visa in US. Visas can be applied and received in post and I would have had enough time if things went as planned.
Week 5: The German embassy holded my papers for jurisdiction problem. Situation worsened as the Chennai German consulate said, I belong to US jurisdiction and not under chennai, (police station-la emergency help-ku pona, antha theruvukku munnadi varaikkum enga limit, neenga solra theru enga limit illangara maathiri...) and my papers has to go to the nearest US Consulate, which is Miami to get cleared. More time, more money and more stress.
Week 6: I was in Germany I thought, I would try my luck in a US consulate in Germany. Not all US embassies in Germany accept people other than Americans & Germans. This means, I can go to the consulate in Frankfurt and not Munich. After I landed Frankfurt, I called up the Consulate from Airport, and it took few minutes before I can talk to someone (and I keep thinking about my telephone bill in Euros).
I told them my situation and asked if I can visit them for stamping. My security clearance papers were cleared by then. He consulted his colleague (ooops ! the bill is running), and asked me if I have the I-94 with me..I had carried all the papers with me, and was totally prepared for this. I had few e-mails to this embassy, before. But, I just didnt know, that the H1B approval notice was also referred as I-94....For me at that moment, I-94...sounded like I-94 card which they stamp it with the Passport, and I didnt have it, as they took it out in Calgary. And so, the officer apologised that he cannot help me, and I hanged up. Atleast he was very kind, and didnt add to my worries. Later then I found out, that I had..., but I wanted to cool it off, and take things pragmatic.
If I choose to go to the Frankfurt embassy, I have to pay the fee to their a/c in a particular bank, take the receipt, go to the embassy and fill out the forms and get everything done before noon. And they will not give the passport to me on the same day, but will send in mail. I do not know, if they'l accept to post it to my hotel in Munich and if they take more than a week, then I might have to sit there, paying for hotels + food, until I receive it. Something striked me, not to run into the Frankfurt streets and try the unknown city and cab. So, I went back to the Lufthansa counter to transfer my tickets from evening to Morning. Until that minute, I havent heard that there is an additional fee to change the flight tickets. 'coz all the tickets I changed in difft instances never charged me a fee for same day change (fee for changing to a difft date, or when you call them in ph is understood, but when you are in the airport, and want to change few hours, they usually dont charge)..but things are little difft here, as they said it depends upon where you buy the ticket, and my indian bought ticket has difft rules that I had to pay extra for a change. I paid .... to change from pm to am flight.
Week7: I have no patience to wait for chennai appt. I applied for canada visa again. 'coz its my second time, I dont have to appear in person, and I asked a travel agent to do it for me.
Week 8: Waiting on the result.
Week 9: Came to know, the travel agent knew nothin abt these procedures, though he claimed he knew, and did all mistakes in the world to make me freak out.
Week 10: By the travel agents wonderful job, I had to appear for a personal interiew in Delhi..phew!
Week 11: Delhi payanam
Week 12: Getting tickets to canada. There was a heavy student traffic and tickets werent easy Week 13: Canada to US. with loss of pay for 3 months + other expenditures
(Other expenditures coming in next part)
In a similar situation ?? Shoot me an e-mail
Incident happened during May 3 2005 until Aug 3 2005

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeevan said...

I don’t know any thing about visa or passport rules, but I can understand that u have a big stress last year. Passama leaveva enjoy panierkkalam illaiya.

February 03, 2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger Vijay Ramamurthi said...

First time here..
oh my god..i gotta tell a lot of people about this..thanks so much providing all this information:)

I can understand these procedures can be quite hassle if things dont work the way they that we expect it to :)

February 03, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger aruna said...

ya true ! I was skeptical abt this idea of going to canada in the first place...I enquired abt 10 of my friends who did this and finally convinced myself its safe, but forgot to compare the fact, that every of them belong to the s/w pool lone me.

February 03, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger [ 'b u s p a s s' ] said...

adengappa.. US varathukku ippadi oru vazhi irukka..

:) nice read.

February 08, 2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

i wud definitely need these info.... thanx for puttin them up!!!

February 08, 2006 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome...Expecting the continuation

February 08, 2006 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home