Monday, January 02, 2006

Arasudamai

I noted a difference in language when I was reading ...First I thought, I might have lost touch with Tamil, particularly the ones spoken in olden days as I was reading a history novel. The history happened during 7th century and this novel was written in 1944. So I kept reading and I felt something not so comfortable about few words, which are not in my dictionary. I again thought this could be a word from the brahmin culture as the author is a brahmin and I may not know all the words they speak. I finished all the four episodes of the novel, with the same thought.

Only when I started reading an other tamil shortstory collections, did i notice that the sentences keep repeating themselves, and there were so much printing errors. Then I realised something, all the words that I thought werent making any sense with the previous novels were outcome of the same printing/ editing errors.

This is all because, recently all these books carry something similar in the second page..."arasudamai aakkapatta pathippu.....rubaai 180-kku vitkum intha puthagam ippothu 120 mattum"............Govt-nnu sonnavae mistakes-um koodavae varumo?

P.S: I am not totally against this. There is a good part of this, which I love. Previously these books used to be like little pillows and 4 parts of that would cover a complete shelf. Now these "arasudamai aakapatta" editions are very small, handly and can fit your handbags...and they are cheap too....I love all these and would vote for this, if only they'll show more attention for editing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-((

January 05, 2006 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home